You are here
A WHILE AGO IN WARRENPOINT PORT / NEWRYMANLOST.COM History 

A WHILE AGO IN WARRENPOINT PORT / NEWRYMANLOST.COM

The Warrenpoint Port images contained in this gallery came from an undeveloped roll of film found in the back of a filing cabinet drawer In Fishers coal yard Newry. The film was discovered while  clearing out Fishers offices after shutting its doors for the last time.

The original Port of Warrenpoint, consisting of a wet dock and piers, was constructed in the late 1770′s by Roger Hall, Robert Ross and Isaac Corry with the assistance of £500 of public funds. In 1919 the heirs of Roger Hall sold the Port to John Kelly and Sons for the sum of £16,000. John Kelly continued to operate the Port until 1971 when it was sold to Warrenpoint Harbour Authority for £369,000.

The Port was substantially enlarged with an initial total investment of approximately £6.7million to create the modern Port.   Until 1971 Warrenpoint Port acted as a lightering port for the Port of Newry and jointly these ports handled approximately half a million tonnes of cargo annually. Subsequently the modern Warrenpoint Port has handled 5 times as much cargo on an annual basis.

Source: British Ports Association

Related posts

Leave a Comment